Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-Guantanamo panel recommends 23-year sentences for 2 in connection with 2002 Bali attacks -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Guantanamo panel recommends 23-year sentences for 2 in connection with 2002 Bali attacks
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 10:11:12
WASHINGTON (AP) — A military panel at Guantanamo Bay,NovaQuant Cuba recommended 23 years in detention Friday for two Malaysian men in connection with deadly 2002 bombings in Bali, a spokesman for the military commission said.
The recommendation, following guilty pleas earlier this month under plea bargains for longtime Guantanamo detainees Mohammed Farik Bin Amin and Mohammed Nazir Bin Lep, marks comparatively rare convictions in the two decades of proceedings by the U.S. military commission at Guantanamo.
Guantanamo military commission spokesman Ronald Flesvig confirmed the sentencing recommendations.
The extremist group Jemaah Islamiyah killed 202 Indonesians, foreign tourists and others in two nearly simultaneous bombings at nightspots on the resort island of Bali.
The two defendants denied any role or advance knowledge of the attacks but under the plea bargains admitted they had over the years conspired with the network of militants responsible. The sentence recommendation still requires approval by the senior military authority over Guantanamo.
The two are among a total of 780 detainees brought to military detention at Guantanamo under the George W. Bush’s administration’s “war on terror” following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S. There have been only a handful of convictions over the years — eight, according to one advocacy group, Reprieve.
Defendants in some of the biggest attacks, including 9/11, remain in pretrial hearings. Prosecutors are seeking negotiated agreements to close that case and some others.
The prosecutions have been plagued by logistical difficulties, frequent turnover of judges and others, and legal questions surrounding the torture of detainees during CIA custody in the first years of their detention.
The military’s head of defense for the Guantanamo proceedings blamed the Bush administration’s early handling of the detainees — which included holding at secret “black sites” and torture in CIA custody — for the more than 20-year delay in the trial.
The slow pace “was extremely distressing and frustrated the desire of everyone for accountability and justice,” Brig. Gen. Jackie Thompson said in a statement.
Thirty detainees remain at Guantanamo. Sixteen of them have been cleared and are eligible for transfer out if a stable country agrees to take them. “The time for repatriating or transferring the cleared men is now,” Thompson said. He said the same for three others held at Guantanamo but never charged.
As part of their plea bargains, the two Malaysian men have agreed to provide testimony against a third Guantanamo detainee, an Indonesian man known as Hambali, in the Bali bombings.
Relatives of some of those killed in the Bali bombings testified Wednesday in a hearing in advance of sentencing, with the two accused in the courtroom and listening attentively.
“The reach of this atrocity knew no bounds, and has affected very many people,” testified Matthew Arnold of Birmingham, England, who lost his brother in the attacks.
A panel of five military officers delivered the recommendation after listening to the sentencing testimony.
The U.S. has held the two men at Guantanamo since 2006. Guantanamo authorities said the sentencing range before the military panel did not include an option to waive time already served.
Local news media in Malaysia have said that authorities there as of last year were exploring bringing the two back to their home country.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- These Wayfair Sheets With 94.5K+ 5-Star Reviews Are on Sale for $14, Plus 70% Off Furniture & Decor Deals
- Helicopter crashes near I-70 in Ohio, killing pilot and causing minor accidents, police say
- How Motherhood Taught Kylie Jenner to Rethink Plastic Surgery and Beauty Standards
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- How does post-concert sadness impact people with depression differently?
- EV Sales Continue to Soar, But a Surge in Production Could Lead to a Glut for Some Models
- A man dressed as a tsetse fly came to a soccer game. And he definitely had a goal
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Sarah Sjöström breaks Michael Phelps' record at World Aquatics Championship
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- The 15 craziest Nicolas Cage performances, ranked (including 'Sympathy for the Devil')
- Meta's Threads needs a policy for election disinformation, voting groups say
- Mark Zuckerberg Is All Smiles as He Takes Daughters to Taylor Swift's Eras Tour Concert
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- 3 dead after plane crashes into airport hangar in Upland, California
- Amazon Fresh lays off hundreds of grocery store workers, reports say
- JoJo Siwa will 'never' be friends with Candace Cameron Bure after 'traditional marriage' comments
Recommendation
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
4 dead, 2 injured in two separate aircraft accidents in Wisconsin
Customers want instant gratification. Workers say it’s pushing them to the brink
Reviewed’s guide to essential back-to-school tech
Average rate on 30
Expand your workspace and use your iPad as a second screen without any cables. Here's how.
This Pet Stain & Odor Remover is an Amazon Favorite with 74,900+ 5-Star Reviews
Shooting wounds 5 people in Michigan with 2 victims in critical condition, police say